Sunday, August 17, 2008

So near...

...and yet so far.

James missed his connection in LA due to bad weather, so he's been delayed an entire 24 hours. Noooooooooo!!!!!! Of course, this one day is going incredibly slowly. Mum stayed for the morning thank God - the glazed look in my eyes must have alarmed her enough to decide I needed company for at least half a day.

Unfortunately it also means that we have no idea when he is arriving, so we won't be able to make the exciting trip to the airport to pick up Daddy. Sigh.

In more positive news, Juliet had her second swimming lesson yesterday, and it went surprisingly well. One of the teachers was particularly lovely to her and paid her one on one attention almost the whole time, and it really helped build her confidence. She was even laughing in the water - unheard of! The tears did start briefly at one point, but she overcame it really quickly. I was so proud of her I think I had tears in MY eyes! At the end, they got all the kids from the various classes to line up by the side of the pool and accept a medal, and stand for the national anthem. It was quite bizarre. Juliet had NO idea what was happening. I'm a very slack Mum and haven't even mentioned the Olympics, and she's never heard the national anthem before. She looked quite scared. Half the kids had their hands on their hearts - what's that about? I don't think I've ever seen Australians do that before. It looked so cheesy and American (no offense meant, US family!)

Anyway, she initially wanted to return the medal, but once I explained it was for being a great swimmer and she should be proud of it, she decided not only to keep it but to wear it. I think she's looking forward to showing it off to James when he comes home. Whenever that is...

1 comment:

TheThingsIdTellYou said...

Oh, Go Juliet! Good for her, Caroline. What a brave little girl. :)

Xander HATED his swimming lessons. They actually *gave* him a phobia of swimming pools (though he LOVES the ocean) which 3 years later, we're still trying to overcome.